Wednesday, September 03, 2008

nothin' to see here

that is, there are no pictures of anything because everything is at that "in process, doesn't look like anything yet" stage

Yesterday the DH got the stitches out of his thumb, and aside from it looks a bit odd just now, he's better than he's been in being able to use that hand for a while -- YEAH!

After we did a couple of other errands, we got some work done in the studio.

We've been working on a bear that is a joint effort -- it has a polymer clay sculpted face, as well as polymer clay foot pads and claws. I'm stitching away on the fur body (the head, body and one leg are done!), and he's working on the feet -- the face being already completed

other projects are progressing too

another leaf necklace in process - the leaf medallion is complete and I've started on the "chain"

another bird block is being worked on

the 2 Christmas knitting projects are moving along

So today we will be going back to the State Fair Grounds to pick up our stuff -- and our ribbons -- and hopefully soon we'll get our prize check too

Have I mentioned another project that I've started? (Ok, I know, there are always at least a dozen of these!!) As I type this I'm listening to the steady whirrrrrr and slooooshh of the rock tumbler running. A while back I saw an article somewhere that talked about making "beach glass" by using a tumbler. Since I don't live near a beach, I thought that would be worth trying. After reading through the article again over the weekend to see what supplies I would have to buy, I discovered I had everything I needed right here at home! (now that has got to be a FIRST!!)

So, the tumbler is full of sandbox sand and water and pieces of blue glass from a broken (on purpose!) wine bottle. I have no idea exactly how long this will take, but each day I open, stir and check and put it back on the machine to tumble some more. Right now the pieces are starting to loose the sharp edges of where they were broken. The time this takes gives me a chance to think about the design possibilities -- I'm thinking of using pieces of shell and some polymer clay faces in this piece --- have to order some drops and fringe beads to do the edges

anyway, I'll try to get some pictures up here soon!

No comments: