Saturday, April 18, 2009

More time with the complex cloth

I decided to try to add another layer of color on the fabric since I was really not that thrilled with the very pale "mango" color that resulted after the first go round

So of course I also decided to play with a whole different technique

This is a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe

I folded the fabric in half length wise and rolled it around the pipe, then I wrapped it with thread in various places


The new "test dye" was a very strong orange mixture.

1 Tbls vinegar, 1 packet of orange Kool Aid and 24 ounces of hot water in a sports bottle

This is what it looked like after pouring the dye down the pipe






Then I bundled it up in a plastic bag and let it set for 2 hours before I rinsed and removed it from the pipe












the result is a sort of orange sherbert with some lighter sort of mango-y looking stripes

I was hoping for a more cross-hatched patterning, but that didn't happen

Possibly because there was not enough contrast in the dye colors, possibly because the tied places around the post were too narrow

While the pipe was "steeping", I mixed up a batch of potato starch resist "batter". I'm planning to use some of it and my new rubber stamps to stamp on the fabric, then I'm going to set up my airbrush and airbrush over the resist.

Should be interesting

Have finished putting the bezel around the red beach glass --- this one is another sharply angled piece, so I used the peyote band again. Today I'll start on the chain.

No comments: