Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reworking

This was one of the pieces that got pulled during last year's inventory for reworking.

The "old" version is on the left, the "new" version on the right.

The problem with the old version was that it would twist when it was worn, which just was not a comfortable arrangement.

I'd been putting off dealing with this because I was afraid when I snipped the thread that was the old "bail" that a lot of the fringe on the top stone would unravel too.

Yesterday I decided it was time to do something, so after making careful notes and having in hand an enlarged photo, I snipped.

Fortunately, only 2 of the fringe came loose and I was able to work everything back in securely. Meantime, the bail has been changed to a two loop bail that allows the chain to run in the proper direction so the piece doesn't twist.

Hurrah for rework!

The second of the giraffe's front legs is now complete.

Notice the variation in the spotting pattern from one leg to another --- very cool

Later today I'll work on one of the back legs, and see how well that patterning works out.


Spent some time yesterday attempting to do the next layer of color on the complex cloth project --- it was not a successful attempt.

There are two apparent problems with this last patterning: 1) I think the resist medium was too thick and didn't soak through the fabric well enough, but just sat on top, and 2) there was not enough contrast in the color previously dyed and the color I was using next.

So, now I'm not sure what the next step will be --- time to let it rest and think about it.

Today we'll be off for our monthly shopping trip, so best get moving

No comments: