Saturday, March 05, 2011

quilts for charity

the local quilt guild that I belong to has a charity that we support

in our little village there is a group called Safe Passage that serves as a support for children who have been either the victim of or the witness to crime

our guild makes these small "comfort quilts" that are given to each child that comes through the door

there are stories that come out of this that will rip your heart right out -- like the young child that came in the door with one of our quilts in hand -- she'd been through this before

a lot of the guild members do machine quilting so when they do these quilts they just go ahead and machine quilt them before they turn them in to our coordinator

since I'm a hand quilter, and that would necessarily mean it would take me a lot longer to finish one, I have an agreement with our coordinator -- I make quilt tops, she'll take care of seeing that the rest happens

this year we have been challenged by the guild to do one of these a quarter -- I've made it my own challenge to do one a month

this is the first one for 2011 -- I'm a bit behind -- need to get 2 more done before next Thursday's guild meeting

number 2 is in cutting stage

and I've also challenged myself to use this as an opportunity to use fabric that I have on hand -- stash busting!

feels good

No comments: