Thursday, June 14, 2007

toward living "green"

Here in the land where folks still think global warming is a myth, one can easily be buried in the ubiquitous plastic bags.

We get two newspapers every day, and rain or shine they come in a plastic bag.

I keep some of them for the necessary "poop patrol" one does as a dog owner, (and for those I'm definately wanting the ones with only the hole that is supposed to be there).

That does leave a lot of plastic bags still to deal with.

And for the most part I don't acquire any bags when shopping -- even my local Walmart has resigned themselves to putting my purchase in the cloth bag I carry in with me.

So then, I've been thinking on the possibilties for these bags.

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to save the worn out underwear and support hose, cut them into strips and make round crocheted rugs out of them. Those things wore like iron....I still have a couple of them 50 years later!

Since I use bags to put projects in (knitting for in the car, etc., etc.), I thought I might convert my bags into BAGS!

So here you see 3 balls of plastic where I have cut the bags in a continuous strip about 2 inches wide, tied the ends together and I'm now just about ready to start knitting up a bag pattern that my sister shared with me.

I'll keep you posted on its progress....

Meantime, back in the studio, I have finished the main part of the new necklace and I'm now working on making the little peyote tube beads I need to string it up. I should be able to get this one done in the next couple of days.

This weekend there is a gem show that I may get to go to, so today I'm going to dump out my entire stone box and see if there are any pieces in there that I need to find "companion" stones for to work up some new pieces. That should be interesting.

and so we're off and running!

No comments: