Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Caution! Bragging Zone Ahead

We went to the State Fair yesterday so I could see how we did on our entries and to check out the animals

I'm thrilled!

Here then are the results of the judging:




Winners of Blue Ribbons




Winners of Red Ribbons












Winners of White Ribbons

Each of these also has a cash premium that is paid, so we will also be getting a check for the prize money, which is cool

While I was looking around, I tried to figure out what my competition had been to see if I could figure out why my piece was placed where it was.



This bear was the blue ribbon winner that my piece finished second to -- you can decide if you think this one is better than mine


I had also entered and not made the jury cut for the fine art part of the fair. Because the piece I entered was a framed piece made of beads and gem stones and polymer clay, I entered it in mixed media


These two pieces were part of my competition

Next year I will make the trip down to the fair instead of trying to jury with photos -- I think I'll have a better shot of getting in













While I did not have an entry in this catagory, I thought this was one of the coolest art dolls I've seen in a while --- just amazing!!

as I was walking around taking pictures of my stuff I ran into one of the ladies that was checking in her pieces the same time I was so we chatted for a while which was fun -- she was doing the same thing I was -- taking pictures of the stuff she had entered and she had won ribbons too

I also talked to two ladies that were part of the information about beading in the Creative Arts building, and was invited to join their weekly "drag and brag" of beadwork -- no fee, just haul your stuff and chat and work. They meet on Friday mornings in a local bagel shop, and if I get enough stuff done the next couple of days I may go join them on Friday to check it out













These amazing critters are Jacob Sheep They are an ancient breed (as from the time of Jacob from the Old Testament) and both ewes and rams have horns -- as in at least 4 per sheep -- some have more than that!!

The gal that was trimming one of them for the show ring told me about them and gave me her business card -- she sells the fleece from the yearly sheering for a very reasonable price -- I may have to consider this as the staple for spinning is between 4 and 7 inches long -- mmmmmm, yummy for spinning

Oh yeah, it would probably be a real clean fleece too, since she has named all 40 head of these that they have and treats them like family members!!

So today we'll be doing our monthly Costco trip and I need to do some tidying in the living room and dining room

time to get to it

1 comment:

Laura Lynn said...

A HUGE congratulations Bev!!!! Very well done and very deserved! (Although I do think you should have gotten the blue for your bear!) Hugz, Laura