Monday, August 18, 2008

Ok cupcake, what's your story?

You're probably thinking "where is that crazy woman going now?"

Actually, I worked on a lot of things yesterday, but these are the only thing I have to show for it right now (and they'll be gone soon I'm sure!)

One year ago today I was busy with much, MUCH, bigger cake, this being my daughter's anniversary.

Because she didn't have the space to keep it frozen (or the desire to eat year old cake), we opted to use the top layer as something that was actually eaten at the reception with the promise that I would bake them an anniversary cake.

I baked the cakes yesterday. Exactly the same mix, and the same size as the top layer of the cake they had. Those two layers are all securely wrapped and in the freezer, so that I can do the icing and have it all ready when they come down to visit over Labor Day (good heaven's is that actually just 2 weeks away?)

So, you're wondering, "what's with the cupcakes?"

When I baked the wedding cakes I did two different sizes in each batch (for instance a 6" layer and a 10" layer) so there was no need to waste any batter. When you bake two 6" layers, however, you can't put all of the batter in those two pans -- unless you have a real desire to clean up a big mess afterwards and start over (just say we've had experience with too much batter in a pan).

My solution was the cupcakes. The DH was responsible for the frosting -- whipping together some butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder, he frosted them while I was busy doing something else as a surprise.

I can tell you that there were originally 6 of them -- we ate 2 of them as desert with our Sunday dinner.

Meantime, yesterday I also worked on the scrapbook that is nearing completion, stitched on a bunny I'm making for a September show, added beads to a bracelet that is in progress, quilted on the log cabin quilt, appliqued more feathers on a bird block, knitted on a Christmas project, and cast on 362 stitches on size 3 needles and successfully did one row of K2,P2 ribbing on another Christmas project.

Not a bad day's accomplishments.

Today, being Monday, there is laundry to do, and more project progress (I hope!)

time to be movin' it!!

No comments: