Saturday, February 10, 2007

Egg.xactly....


I've finally gotten from the paper and pencil stage to actually putting beads around the egg!

It's an amazing thing.

As usual, since I'm not using delicas for this project (the price was a bit out of my reach), the first 2 rows had to be done twice. Even though the average number of beads per inch is 16, its too random to actually be able to just do the math (16 beads per inch times 14 inches around at the widest point), string up the beads and go.

The second time around (after adjusting on both sides in the blue field) it fit perfectly.


Right at this moment, I think it looks rather like a hopsack dress with a gaudy belt around it.....but I know it will improve.

I had originally intended to give the brown paper mache egg a coat of white paint before I started with the beading, but I forgot to do it (forgot I even MEANT to do it until I was 5 rows in (actually 7 rows, accounting for the 2 frogged ones), at which point I said "FORGET IT!" So there you go....

I had considered trying to write out a pattern for this thing, but I've decided that if one is going to write patterns, one must use delicas so the results can be duplicated.

When I was looking for something else (don't you love serendipity?!) I discovered that I had a very small wood egg. I'm thinking about working over that one with size 15s in some sort of religious pattern and making it into a necklace. We'll see.


It has become obvious that I have committed some kind of Ticker/Blogger "faux pas" in that having put my count down to Nevada City in the body of a previous blog, I now can't figure out how to use it again.....NUTS! I can tell you that as I write this, there are 61 days to the Nevada City Teddy Bear Convention.

I began working on the third in the series of Toucans. This has been a fun series in that each bird is very different, and that this is the only animal we've made that we haven't given a name. The latest version has had some major changes made....the first two had one piece, completely black wings as well as all black tail feathers. The one I'm now working on has red on the upper tail and black on the underside. The outside wing has a red "shoulder" and a blue "tip". Quite different! Because of all the different colored small pieces, this one is completely hand stitched, so it takes a while to get him done.




There are now 53 arcs complete.

time to go get breakfast.....

No comments: