Wednesday, February 07, 2007

of cake pans and graph paper.....



After all our cake escapades over the weekend, I decided yesterday to actually get a set of round cake pans.

We were in Walmart, and I was able to get the 2 big ones for a ridiculously low price, so I went ahead and got them. There will be more cake practice in our future!

The top pan is an official Wilton 6 inch wedding cake pan. The other pans that are available to me to use are 8", 10" and 12", but a 6" just feels like a better size for the top layer on the kind of cake we're planning for.

And then there are the two other tools.....a large, offset spatula, which is designed to make the frosting spreading a lot easier, and a tiny little brush for proper care and cleaning of the tips.....




And this is the chart that I worked on for about 3 hours yesterday.

Can you see the lilly? All of the background outside the blue lines will be blue, I decided I didn't need to color all of it in.

There are programs on the market that let you scan in a picture and they will program the graph, list the colors, etc., etc., but there is something organic about putting pencil to paper to create the graph.

I do use my computer to print the picture and then run it through again to print the necessary grid over it, but then I do this step which lets me "tweek" the shape and placement of the elements of the design if I want to (and I usually do).

Today I will finish up the graph for the lettering that goes on the back of the egg...it is in Cyrilic script and means "Christ is Risen", the traditional Easter greeting. This graphing shouldn't take so long, however.

Because I wasn't ready to start beading on the egg last night, I worked on another small pin in pink and chocolate brown....another sort of stylized heart shape that I plan to put a few "dangles" off the point of....we'll see how that works....I've also been thinking about creating a pin with something suspended in a center opening, but that design isn't clear yet.




Another arc done last night. 50 done, 46 to go!

Today I will be trying to get my daughter's taxes done. I'm still waiting for a form so I can do ours.

Time to get to it!

2 comments:

Nancy G said...

Ridiculously cheap cake pans, we like that; only free would have been better!
Of course I can see the lily, it's really pretty already, even on just the graph paper. What stitch does that grid represent?
Way to go on the DWR arcs! It's all downhill from here, right? In a good way, that is! LOL

Bev said...

the stitch grid can be used either for peyote stitch (turned the way this one is) or for brick stitch (if you turn it sideways). I got an amazing price on some 1/4 POUND packages of beads to do this one with!