Saturday, March 03, 2007

altered couture and other objects de art



I read (and re-read!) a magazine called Belle Armoire.

One of their features has been altered couture....where someone takes a used garment of some kind and remakes it into a whole new thing

I guess that stuck in my head to be revisited by DH telling me that this shirt shrunk. It was headed to the pile to be donated to Salvation Army, when the little creative "bug" struck, and I rescued it for a make over of sorts.

I'm thinking cardigan style jacket, cable knitted banding, big time embroidery on the back, beads .....mmmmmmmmm..... lovely thoughts!

pictures will follow!


and then there is this little bit of recycling creativity

When I'm working on bead projects and get to the end of a package of beads of any size I toss them into a jar. I also put in mismatched pieces of findings, parts of jewelry that I tear apart, etc., etc. In our studio this is called the Soup Jar.

Every now and then (usually about this time of year), I pour the contents of the Soup Jar out into a tray and see what I can create out of it.

This is the first of several pins I will be putting together this time. I call these "Beadple" (bead people). Cute, huh? (I did have to buy some wire to do the hair)

I'm looking forward to making about a dozen of these (if the pieces hold out!)





A major milestone reached last night. All 96 arcs for the quilt are complete. Now its on to creating the "football" shaped units. There will be pressing and marking and sorting (OH MY!) today or tomorrow to prepare for this step.

(and according to DH, I'm WAY ahead of schedule to have the top of this done by the wedding!!)

time to get moving, I need to take a bunch of pictures of some stuff I'll be listing on Ebay......

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I think it's great your recycle your smaller items and create some new. Great idea!

Bev said...

thanks Kelly....my husband says I should call this one the "bunny-corn" because it looks like it has 2 bunny ears and an unicorn horn!

I've got some great ideas for using the rest of the batch, some with hats!