Wednesday, March 28, 2007

why is a toucan like a writing desk, and a sheep because a vest has no sleeves





This is the latest toucan.

Each one of these that I make is quite different from the others. Its one of the places on the animal making that allows me to really play with color.

Notice that the wing tips are blue and the wing shoulders are red on this one. I also used a bright red fabric to do the undersides of his tail.

I wasn't really thinking about it when I cut the yellow piece that is just behind his eyes, but that piece of fur is longer that the others and stands up almost like a crest around the back of his eyes and up on the top of his head which is pretty cool too.

The toucan is made of mohair and upholstry fabrics, has glass eyes and wire feet. He stands up all on his own quite well.



And this is Stella the Black Sheep.

Because I know about sheep getting cranky when they aren't made of wool -- or even mohair -- I decided right at the beginning that she would have a wool sweater!

This Stella is made out of a textured rayon pile fabric and wool felt. Her arms and legs are jointed, but her neck isn't -- something I will be changing when I make the next one.

Stella's sweater is hand knit of 2 different wool yarns that I also hand dyed (and the blue gray in the stripe is yarn I spun).

No wonder this Stella has a smile on her face!













As I said a day or so ago, I've been revamping the entire website.

This is a sneak preview of the kind of pages I'm going to for the animals on the site.

I spent a lot of time yesterday afternoon figuring out how to create these pages using two or three different software packages.

I like the new look! Now its on to the HTML coding to make them all internet interactive.

We also decided that the enty to the home page will be just our animals, but there will be a link to our jewelry studio too.

Today we have errands to run, etc., so I probably won't get as much done on web work, etc., as I did yesterday....

....into the fray!

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

Looks like the new pages are coming right along. I really like the new look!