Monday, January 28, 2008

Odds and Ends of the Week



As I take pictures during the week, they don't always "make the cut" and actually get posted on the day I take them.

This, for instance, was the sunrise yesterday morning. Lovely bands of deep pink through the trees.....mmmmmm, yummy!



Its been a long time since I have felt the need to have a pin cushion.

For years I've been quite happy to use a tin (or two or three!) to keep my pins in, but as I have progressed on making more appliqued quilts, I have found it handy to have some place to have pins all nicely pointed with the head sides up for easy grabbing.

So, a while back on a blog I found a pattern for a pin cushion. It was supposed to be made up to measure about 5 inches square. Well, that's just a bit too big for my uses, so I changed the pattern a bit, and this is my version that measures just under 3 inches square. (I know, I know, its that never met a pattern I didn't want to change thing again!)

Anyway, this is made up of scraps of fabrics I had on hand. The pattern says to use a button for the center, but I didn't -- this is a vintage metal earring that I clipped the post off of and used a thread around each petal then down through the pin cushion to attach it.

Cool, huh?



Another project complete!

The plan is for this one (and several others) to go to the teddy bear show, so just above each eye glass loop is a mother of pearl fetish bear bead ---

It may sound silly, but there was a lot of discussion about which way the bears should go -- should they be right side up when the glasses are hanging down around the neck, or should they be right side up when the glasses are on the face?

This particular set will be right side up when the glasses are hanging down.

What do you think?



The last painting is done on the shirt.

Yesterday I even did the "halo" leaves on the cuffs, so now all that is left is to stitch on the hook and eye and the leaf bead on each side of the top edge and I can wear it.

The little extra weight of the paint on the edges of the leaves makes the whole motion of them even better than I envisioned.

The DH asked if he was going to have to follow me around with a leaf rake as the whole thing gives the impression of leaves moving and/or falling from the tree (funny man!).

That this came out even better than I imaged it, this is definately one of those "did I do that?" moments




Over at Girl Gone Thread Wild there is a project afoot that will be a fund raiser for breast cancer. (You can use this link to read all about the project.)

Anyway, as my Aunt Janie was taken too early from us by this disease, and my daughter's mother in law is battling it, I thought the least I could do was spend a little time creating a couple of squares for this effort.



This is the block I created as a memorial to my Aunt Janie. She had been a piano teacher (listed in the Who's Who of American Music back in the 1970's), and music is always one of the things I think of when I think about her.

So, here the music lives on with angel's wing.


And so today there will be laundry and other projects to work on....time to get with it

No comments: