Monday, November 17, 2008

Entry in the "oldest project completed" contest

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, I made this sweater for the DH

Actually, I knit this back in the early 1970's. It's wool -- as in the old style wool -- not the new "put them in the washer" wool yarns that are available today -- nope, this one gets hand washed

Anyway, I knit it then, before I got the buttons on it, we moved to a warmer climate and it got put away in a drawer.

And it got moved -- as in from Colorado to California to Utah to Colorado to Utah to California to Colorado -- (ok, we lived like gypsies for a while) -- and somewhere along the way, before it ever got officially "Finished" (as in the buttons sewn on), some damage occurred.

Saturday morning, the DH brought it downstairs and ask if it could have buttons and some mending please, as he has decided he would like to wear it -- OMG!

Now, I am definately a pack rat (ok, about 4th generation on that front!), but let me tell you, the left over yarn from this little vintage classic is long gone, and while I probably bought buttons that were intended for this, who can remember now what they were (or where they actually got used).

And the damage on the shoulder was pretty extensive -- I'm thinking somewhere along the way there was a small group of very hungry moths as the hole was about the size of a half dollar.

Yesterday I darned all three of the holes in the sweater -- I used some yellow yarn from another project -- it doesn't match, but it is wool and did close the hole so the sweater can be worn for warmth (which was the point!) -- oh yes, and those buttons? I bought a bulk package of buttons a while back to use for some other projects (bags, bracelets) and these 6 brushed chrome looking ones were in the group -- and they were just the right size.

Now, as I was saying, this is officially my entry in the "oldest project completed" contest (we won't go into that postage stamp quilt I started once upon a time)


Beach glass necklace number 2 is now complete.

I rather like the black beads (with the occasional blue one thrown in) for the netting around the glass and the chain

I was amazed too when I put the necklace in the scanner how well it actually shows off the lovely blue glass

Today I'll be working on a bracelet that is part of the "use the pieces you have on hand" collection -- I'm hoping to have it done for the show we're doing on Saturday


and one more hotpad complete!

This one is a bit larger than the first one was -- I think variety in hotpad sizes is a good idea -- and these are really intended for setting a warm dish on the table as they are a bit "fussy" for grabbing a pan out of the oven use -- although they could do that too.

I have one more of these to complete, and I'm in the putting on the petals stage of it

Yup, one more Christmas gift project done!

This morning I added the custom dog bones to my Etsy site. I've been trying to figure out something that I could do as a cat toy that could be customized too, but it's been so long since I lived with a cat, and back then we didn't buy them toys, I just have no ideas. Anybody else have one that you wouldn't mind me using?

Have you taken the Handmade pledge? You'll notice a new button on the top right of this blog. I'm all for keeping our gift giving dollars right here with artists and craftsmen in the good ol' U.S.A., so I signed the pledge. In my case it means that just about everything gets actually handmade by me, but I'm always excited to see something handmade by someone else that meets the gift buying need.

Time to go do the laundry (good heavens, it's Monday again!!) and try to get some other projects done

No comments: