Friday, November 28, 2008

Experimental snowflakes

Now that I have FINALLY figured out how to use at least some of the software for the sewing machine, I decided to play with some of the "Bonus" designs that I had on a CD.

This was one of them, and though it's hard to tell from the picture, what you're seeing here is ONLY the embroidery -- so it actually looks like a stitched snowflake with all the open spaces, etc.

I figured if I used a tear away stabilizer and several layers of water soluable stabilizer to stitch through then remove all of the visable stabilizers afterwards, that I might get something that could be used as an ornament

I was right! The plan next is to attach a thread loop, then use spray adhesive and some glitter

Pictures forthcoming if it works!

It has been a tradition at our house for a number of years that the Christmas tree goes up on Thanksgiving day.

This began when we decided we were going to use artificial trees, and there really wasn't any reason not to put up a tree that early, before that the tree had usually gone up around Dec 15.

This is the "tree glow" of the living room tree with it's newly acquired strings of L.E.D. lights.

I notice that they have a slightly "pinker" look than the old incandescent ones, but they have many, many advantages -- like I'll actually be willing to turn them on because they won't send the electric meter twirling!

We did get a little bit of snow last night -- I doubt if it will stick around very long as the temperatures will be in the 40's again -- it's ok with me!

time to get moving -- literally as our daughter and her husband will be here to pick up the furniture we're giving them for their new house!!

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

That really did turn out well; I can't wait to see the finished product. It's certainly a lot faster and easier than crocheting snowflake ornaments!

Pretty tree - ooh, shiny! LOL

We never did get any of the white stuff, which was just fine with me. We really could use the moisture, though.