Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Natural World --- book review

When I came home the other day from leaving my van at the shop there was a padded envelope laying on my front step.

Since I hadn't ordered anything recently, I couldn't imagine why someone had sent me something.

When I opened the envelope I found this book and then remembered that I had volunteered a year ago or so to review books that Martha Sielman writes.

This one is awesome.

A slim volume on quality paper, it is packed full of amazing photos of quilts made on the various themes of the Natural World -- trees, animals, water, flowers and more.

Nineteen individual artists have been profiled and many of their pieces of work shown, and many more artists are represented in the pages and pages of what I can best describe as "Eye Candy".

In the individual profiles, Martha has begun with her own impressions of the artist, but has also allowed each artist's voice to speak for herself in discussing her roots with the fiber world, her process and her inspirations.

One thing that struck me as I read was that each artist may have their own approach and methods, but I felt a connection to the person behind the art.

I read through this book in less than a week so I could write this, but I will be returning to it again and again for inspiration of my own -- and I can't wait to see the books to come in this series.

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Very cool! And I have to admit my first glance at the peacock had it anthropomorphized into being in high silver heels and a fancy silk dress that swooped way out to the sides.