Friday, March 02, 2012

not exactly art

one of the things I've been fussing about is the state of my website

the original core of this thing was originally written about 15 years ago, and has undergone many permutations since then

the problem is -- it LOOKS like it's 15 years old

the whole "look" of web pages has so changed in that time that the site is almost useless

but I'm reluctant to let the domain name go because I'm concerned what might pop up with my business name on it if I do

so, I need to make it look better -- but I can not justify spending a lot of money on a new program to do this with -- and I don't really want to spend a long time learning a new program either

the other day, after a conversation with my daughter about this issue, I went snooping around in the programs that I already have on my computer

one of them is Publisher 2003

and I have not used it much -- it's just part of the Office Suite that I have (and I use Word and Excel, which are also part of that, a lot)

so I did what I've been doing since the early 1980s when I saw my first "personal computer" -- I went looking for a book

I found a copy of this particular book for 37 cents (I love Amazon for this purpose)

so for the next few days I'll be stepping through the text with the program open to see if I can get comfortable enough with the program to create a whole new look to my website

I'll let you know how that goes

so while I'm not talking about art, I'm taking this opportunity to rant about something that bugs me

this headline was on the FRONT PAGE of the local paper yesterday

read it closely now

"Suncor airs on side of caution"

wait --- AIRS?

don't we mean "ERRS"?!

OY!!

I know that the paper no longer gets set in lead type (yes, I'm old enough to remember when it did!), that it gets set much the way I'm writing this blog right now

and they use spell check to catch the spelling errors

but obviously the idea of proof reading for content has fallen by the way side

unbelievable --

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Newspapers like that should not be putting on errs.