Thursday, July 05, 2012

my own version of fireworks


 when I was a kid I remember we always listened to the Boston Pops Orchestra on the 4th of July -- now days they don't show the concert anymore, just the fireworks, which for me is a huge disappointment -- I want to hear the music!

while we were watching the fireworks on TV last night I was working on quilting this piece

this is moving along nicely -- I've now finished quilting all of the orange section and I've started into the blue above it

and I'm pleased with the way it looks

for the first time I can remember we heard not even one "pop" of fireworks in the neighborhood

guess there's nothing like a big fire to get folks to finally take the burn ban seriously -- that and the fact that the fine this year was $1000 instead of $300 -- we've had enough of seeing the night sky lit up

because I couldn't just run to the store and get what I need to finish that white piece yesterday, I started working on this little piece

this will be a barrette

I had picked up this piece of glass at the quilt show we went to back in May and it's size and shape fit across the top of a barrette nicely

I'm using mostly recycled beads for this that are out of those boxes and boxes of goodies that my mom gave me a while back -- amazing how well those vintage beads go with the new glass

today I plan to get to the bead store and try to find something to finish up the white necklace -- and I need a new spool of black quilting thread so I can do the quilting on that summer piece

time to get moving

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

We had fireworks, out near the Bay with lots of water around. Close enough that if we'd wanted, we could have taken a mile+ hike and then walked back out again--no point in sitting in the parking lot for two hours trying to get out.

Love the quilt. The beading is delightful--my first reaction to it was a schoolbus! A really cool one, like th Magic Bus series!