Friday, September 07, 2012

Trick or Treat

while I was visiting with Mr Cute, his momma and I had a discussion about his Halloween costume

last year he was a Winged Monkey -- I turned a sweat suit into the costume by adding a tail to the pants, and wings and ears to the hooded sweat shirt

he was a cute winged monkey


this year his dad asked if we could make him a costume for a character from a game he plays

we used this little drawing we found as a guide for the sewing project







so off we went to the fabric store --- fleece makes good costume material -- it has the advantage of not raveling, so you don't have to hem the edges of things

the original plan was for me to create the tunic and the hat and my daughter was going to get the t-shirt and pants for him

but yesterday, while I was picking up some other stuff at the local store, I found a shirt and pants that were perfect!

I went through my upholstery fabric and found the perfect stuff to make the belt (I had "D" rings on hand)

the whole thing took less than two hours to put together --- and he'll have a shirt and pants to wear after that for every day use

cool!


while I was at the sewing machine, I started doing the freehand machine embroidery of the spider web on the first of the witch quilt tops  --- I haven't done much of that, and it feels a little "scary" to risk ruining all that hand work, but the only way to improve my skills is to do it!  and it's looking pretty good --- I hope to finish the first one today


1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Oh how fun! And what a sweet father/son picture.

Good luck with the witches stitches.