Friday, June 25, 2010

stashing and planting

our Walmart is doing what I knew it would -- there will no longer be fabric available

which of course means there was a 50% mark down on what they had in the store

by the time I got there (since I only go in there about every other month), there wasn't a whole lot left, but I did pick up a yard of each of these

the one with the ferns I have a specific plan for -- the other two I just liked the look of

(and no, I don't want to hear the lecture about how Walmart fabrics are not as high quality, blah, blah, blah -- I know that, they also aren't $9.00 plus a yard, which means I have a lot more opportunity to fiddle with ideas at a price I can afford before I buy the expensive stuff!)

you may recall my saying that the squirrels dug up and ate a lot of the corn we planted (along with almost all of my green beans)

we replanted the green beans late last week, but I hadn't yet figured out what I was going to do in the gaps of the corn rows

this was our solution

while these seeds were a bit "pricey-er" than I usually want to spend on seeds, they are in this cool biodegradable fiber tape that keeps them all properly spaced (yippee!) and I'm hoping will deter the squirrels!

so now I'm done planting garden -- I think

we're already getting a lot of blooms and little fruit on the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and tomatillo

yum!

one more afghan square complete

and there is a box full going off to Close Knit Hugs today


yesterday morning I attended a meeting of the local group of ladies that do applique

some of our members are "snow birds", so I hadn't yet met them (since I'm a "newbie")

one of the snow birds was there yesterday and brought some quilts she had finished over the winter, including one that she entered in a competition in Houston and won a red ribbon with

we had a lovely chat, and I picked up some great pointers from her about doing machine quilting -- she has a Viking Designer I just like mine, so it was good to hear how she does what she does -- and I really liked her quilts!

since I've been working on trying to get the commissioned baby quilt done, I had it with me at the meeting and got a lot of questions about the pattern -- and some encouragement to turn this original design into a pattern

I'm thinking about it

this morning we need to do a little shopping (including a bit of Quilt Store Shop Hop) and then we'll probably hole up with the little swampy cooler running -- we're supposed to be very hot today -- hopefully more projects get done!!

No comments: