Thursday, February 24, 2011

and the loser is.....

I had to make that final decision about which of the four quilts under consideration I was not going to include in the final entry

(if you missed the original post about this you can read it here)

in the past few months I've been doing a lot of reading of things that have been written by people who have actually been able to get into some of the big shows or competitions in an effort to figure out how to do just that

reading those things made it easier for me to decide that the light house was the right quilt NOT to include

it has to do with presenting a cohesive body of work

while the light house is the newest quilt, and it is more the size of the fantasy fish and the leaf, it is a totally different style

it is a watercolor on fabric that is embellished with colored thread quilting

the other three pieces are basically applique with a lot of embellishment, including three dimensional flower petals on the fence piece and beading embellishment on all three of them

hopefully this was the right choice and at least one of the three that I did enter will actually make the cut

and in other "loser" news, I recently learned that a local co-op gallery had an opening for a "wall art" artist

after checking it out, I have decided that this is not the right time for me to pursue being a part of that -- there is a considerable commitment required in terms of both financial contribution (a yearly "membership" fee plus a monthly payment that is even more) and of time -- I'm just starting to take "baby steps" to getting my work out there where it can be seen, and I need to have time to actually work on making art

I'm working under the belief that if I'm supposed to be there another opportunity to do so will present itself

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

You followed what felt right. Always the way to go.