Saturday, February 12, 2011

new toys

while my friend from California was here, I did some experimenting with watercolor pencils that she brought with her
during a period of about a week, I created a piece that was painted with watercolor pencils and with thread

and it was a lot of fun

but my friend had to go home and she took her pencils with her (I know, how one way is that?)

so ever since I've been looking in local stores to find a set of my own

(I had already spotted a really BIG set in the Dick Blick catalog, but I wasn't ready to plunk down $70+)

my usual favorite place to get art supplies close to home only had kits with just a few pencils and a really big price

yesterday, just on a "what if" venture, we went into my favorite office supply place

TA DA!!

a 24 pencil set of pretty nice quality (Prismacolor) water color pencils in a really nice tin (so I can keep them from getting mixed in with the other assorted color pencils in the house)

so, now I'm getting pretty antsy to get to a couple of projects that have been in the P.I.T. (project in transition) status for a while (no UFOs here!)

meantime, the work on the beaded bracelet is moving right along -- I need to go through some of my old technique sheets and get the toggle clasp figured out so I can just move right on to that as soon as the bead embroidery is done

and the black and gray stitching is done on the Hoffman piece -- started on the white yesterday

slogging along!!

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

AND! You can knit with them on the planes! (Just kidding.)

Nancy G said...

You will need some bulky weight yarn, though; most pencils are a little smaller than a US#11. (Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I have knitted with pencils. Why do you ask?)

Hurray for office supply stores, one of my favorite places to browse!