Thursday, February 17, 2011

one step forward, one step back

all of the pieces of the bracelet are finished, now I just need to put it together

the bar of the toggle was really easy -- I've done a lot of these

the loop end did present some challenges -- in the end I did a peyote stitched tube and when it got to the length that allowed me to form a smooth ring, I just stitched the ends together -- pretty neat

and I still have a little time before I need to get this submitted, so getting good pictures is the next step

this, however, truly must be a monster

the plan was to put in some lettering (backwards, since you are looking out through the window) between the fused layer and the iridescent "window" fabric

I had already done the individual words using the embroidery feature of my sewing machine, all nicely backward, just needing to be trimmed and attached

except when I started trimming them they simply disintegrated into little tangles of thread

well then

so now I have to decide what to do next

I could probably do the same embroidery right on the fused layer, but I'm worried about doing that because I've already put in so much work on the fusing and stitching and if I make a mistake with the machine I get to start over from the beginning

so today there will be some fusing with it -- I'll probably lay out what I have on the big table and see what I can come up with (this is where it would be helpful if I had an actual drawing to work from on this piece)

but I'm not happy about it right now

No comments: