Wednesday, February 16, 2011

creating a monster

while I was working on this, I had it folded so that just this much of it was exposed

the DH walking by the table it was laying on said "it looks like a monster"

let me tell you there have been times as I've been stitching BY HAND all around each and every one of the many, many little pieces that I was beginning to think of this as a monster!

in this shot, though, you can see the stitching that I did around the pieces that had been fused down

I can't even tell you how many pieces were involved here -- maybe later I'll count them



so here we are

the spire and the building

this is the part of the piece that is supposed to be beyond the window in the finished work

which is why I did it all in black and white and gray -- its supposed to be on the other side of one of those sun shield windows

so this is the naked pieced after the stitching







my original idea was to put it under a layer of tulle that would be the window glass in the finished piece

this picture is the piece with a single layer of tulle over it

in the picture, and in person, there isn't much difference between this and the naked piece

certainly not really enough to convey my idea of "this is beyond a window"

and while that impression should be improved by the lettering that will be added, it just doesn't look like a window





this, on the other hand, looks like it is beyond a piece of glass

this is a piece of a sort of translucent iridescent fabric that I bought when I was working on the Angel of Music quilt that I made for my daughter

I used this for part of the wings

but I have to say I really like this better than the tulle for this purpose

so I'm thinking this will be what I will use

what do y'all think?




how much quicker it goes when the pattern is simple and only 2 colors!

the orange and white checker board took me only 2 days to do

the next pattern is also a smaller panel, but more complex and twice as many colors, so I'm thinking it may take a bit longer



yesterday the last of the ornaments came off the Christmas tree and went into their boxes -- this morning I will finish hauling them all out of the living room and vaccum the floor -- yippee!!

and there will be a trip to the grocery store and to pick up a prescription before I get back to projects today -- time to get moving!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

I love the monster! And the whole beautiful picture you're making of that building. Wow. You have an incredible amount of talent, and wow, just wow.