Wednesday, December 21, 2011

more from Santa's workshop

last week I stripped all the upholstery off this little rocking chair and did the gluing repair it needed done to the arms

yesterday afternoon, when I finally felt well enough to do something that required some strength, I re-upholstered the seat

heavy duty green corduroy -- and I used the technique I learned when I upholstered the footstool earlier in the year

to today I hope to get the cushion for the back of the chair stitched up

feeling pretty good about how this little project is coming out



I've probably mentioned from time to time that I know how to do a lot of "lost" home arts

the knitting and crocheting and quilting have all made a popular come back over the years, and there are a few people who know about tatting (another thing that my grandmother taught me how to do)

but darning?

as in darning a sock -- and actually having a "darning egg" to do it with

over the weekend my daughter asked if I could repair this sock for her -- I did the repair yesterday (after I ran the socks through the washer and the dryer) -- glad to put this old skill to work again

ta da!

the beading on this project is done and I painted the back of it with fray check last night

today I should be able to start on putting the whole piece together (just as soon as I figure out what I'm using on the back of it!)

and since the cup cozies are all finished and I usually have at least two knitting projects on the sticks, I decided it was time to start something new

and unusual

I'm actually working on a sweater for myself

all of the yarn is coming out of my stash

and since it is a multi-color patterned knit, running out of a color will not be a deal breaker

this is the "main" color -- a lovely rusty brown, and I made gauge first thing out of the box -- wow!

tonight I can start the first piece of the project -- hopefully

and another shot of the birthday boy

let me tell you, this kid knows what to do with cake

and he has a really smart mommy

the free round "smash cake" that came along with the quarter sheet cake she ordered for his party was a full thickness 6 inch cake

she sliced about an inch off the top of it and only gave him that part

plenty for some great photos and for him to enjoy it -- not enough to make him sick

yummy (and yes, a full bath followed!)


today I was supposed to go to the local yarn shop and use the drum carder on the box of fleece -- or at least part of it -- but this morning the DH woke up with a worse version of the stomach issue I had on Sunday

I'll be making a quick trip to the grocery to pick up ginger ale, then back home again -- and calling to reschedule that carding trip

time to get to it

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Oh he is SO cute! And what a great picture!