Sunday, October 16, 2011

Art Show Opening

Yesterday morning we headed off to Palmer Lake for the opening of the TriLakes Fiber Art Show

It was pretty thrilling to walk in the front door and see my name on the list of Gallery Artists!

Of course I went to see how my pieces had been hung

they look pretty good hanging together on the wall with the gallery's track lighting shining on them

There are a dozen artists that are part of the show, and I had only met or knew by name one of them

what I was supposed to do while I was there was to work on some of my pieces in process and explain the process to people that were interested

I had a nice table in the corner of the gallery where I had enough space to lay out the pieces that I was working on for the African series








before we went I had used the sea sponges to put on some color that looks like bushes and trees

while I was there, I added the "branches" and some additional color to the ground so all the animals look like they are standing on the ground, not floating in the air

after I finished that, I did the beading on the tusks of the elephant

these are coming along well, and while I was working on them, some new ideas about layout and finishing started to come to me

sometimes to have art "happen" you just have to show up and do the work!

next weekend I'll be doing the afternoon shift for demonstrations, so this week I'll be trying to figure out what I need to do next

the bead work is done

and here it is next to the inspiration that started this whole project

for the first time in several projects that involve a cuff bracelet, I did not have to add any additional beading once I had completed the pattern to make it long enough to fit the cuff -- I have no idea what I did differently because it didn't feel different at the time, but I'm happy that it came out a perfect fit

this afternoon I'll be trying to find some leather to use for the inside of the cuff

can't wait to get this one completed!

No comments: