Monday, October 17, 2011

started with good intentions

after watching several videos on YouTube that gave step by step instructions to take apart a Whirlpool dryer I headed downstairs with the necessary tools and a few extra items in hand

many years ago I had taken apart a dishwasher and replaced the timer unit, so I'm not terribly intimidated by mechanical things, so I figured I could do this

working through the check list --

remove the 2 screws in the lint filter housing -- check

pop open the top of the dryer -- check

remove the screws from the back panel -- check

pull the lead wires from the heat box panel -- here I did a little extra step, labeling each wire before removing it -- check

remove the top screw that holds the heat box -- a bit more challenging because of tight work space -- check

lift heat box out of casing -- uh, not so much

while the video shows this as being a simple procedure, in this particular dryer it just isn't going to happen

all of which means I have two choices here -- call in a repair man or buy a new dryer -- either of which will be more expensive than it would have been for me to pull the parts and replace them

nuts!

I guess I'll be making some calls this morning to see if I can find a repair man

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Bummer!

My word today is expel....fitting no?

AlisonH said...

The how-to video Richard watched on Saturday at least told him, This is the part a lot of people find difficult...

I have a friend who had a washer/dryer combo and bought a house that had one too, which is how I replaced mine cheap. Any chance of that there?

(My word verification, echoing Dorothy's: handi. Too funny!)

Lori Ellington said...

Our dryer stopped getting hot enough for the clothes to dry. About 2 trips to the laundry mat and he fixed it. Maybe I could send him your way.