Saturday, October 22, 2011

small successes

the first two parts of the stitching on this project were easy enough that I could do all four panels in one sitting

heh, we won't be doing that again now that we're into the real details of the project!

cutting the shape, clipping the curves and hand stitching on this branch was the only accomplishment on this yesterday -- and you'll notice the pins on the bottom edge of the branch where it's not all stitched down yet

but I really like the way this looks -- I think this is going to be really awesome





just because I hate to throw anything away that can be rescued, I decided to try to save the panel that I had tried to stamp the Great Ape on

since there was damage to the stamp the bottom part of the stamping just did not look good

my solution?

just cut that part off and make this panel more of a square -- about the same size and shape as the elephant is

after that I used the sea sponge to put some "foliage" around and even over the animal

I think this is going to work, and I'm pretty happy with that

after taking a "walk" through all of my beads that were leaf shapes and flower shapes and animal shapes I'm all ready to start the beading on this collar style necklace

the "vine-y" looking line will be stitched with tiny size 15 seed beads, then the "field" will get filled with some slightly bigger beads that have a sort of pearlized finish

this is a departure from the pieces I've done recently, so I think it will be a fun challenge


yesterday the new skein of yarn arrived for the Christmas sweater, and while it is not the same dye lot that the others were, a test swatch of knitting alternate rows with the two yarns indicated that there won't be any color demarcation line -- yippee -- so last night I picked up the stitches and started on the hood

this morning I should be getting ready to go do a second demonstration session, but I woke up with an intestinal tract issue (about 5:30 am), so I'm sipping tea to settle my tummy -- bummer -- guess it will be a lot more low key day than I though it would be

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

Our local paper had color photos of paintings by an artist here, worked from her photos from her trip to Denali National Park in Alaska, and I felt like I was looking at your quilt: the blue, the soft-edged white. I do love how that tree is coming out!

Shonette said...

hope your tummy is feeling better , love your quilting as well as I do your beadwork, cheers to getting back up and running around.