Friday, January 06, 2012

Ready for spinning

as I mentioned yesterday, our local fiber arts shop (Table Rock Llamas) has drum carders that they rent out by the hour (the whole session cost me only $10 -- a real bargain!)

I went yesterday morning and spent 2 hours cranking (and I expected my arm to be a bit sore, but it isn't - a pleasant surprise)

this fleece was from a Jacob sheep -- I got it a couple of years ago and had used part of it to do needle felting -- but there was still so much of it that it just seemed like a good idea to go ahead and spin some of it into yarn

in two hours I was able to card about half of the first fleece (when we paid for this fleece the lady we talked to tossed in a second fleece for free!), so I'll be setting up future carding sessions later

I tried to sort the light from the dark when I did the carding -- my plan is to spin them separately then run one light strand and one dark strand together when I ply them for a sort of tweedy yarn

work continues on the baby dinosaur quilt

good progress being made on this block -- both wings all stitched down, so now it's on to the arms and legs

yesterday I got an ad flyer from one of the local fabric stores that has quilt bats on sale for 50% off, so I'll be picking up one for this quilt in the next couple of days

nice timing!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Ah, now I get it on the drum carder. What a cool idea!