Saturday, October 18, 2008

having just fallen off the pumpkin wagon

no, it's not my first time to ever have grown food

When we lived in California we had the most AWESOME raised bed garden known on the planet (ok, we had a really great one limited only by the size of the yard), out of which we would eat fresh tomatoes all summer and put up as many as 60 quarts for the winter months

and we had zucchini, and green beans and peppers

but I have never grown pumpkin before, and the dern thing continues to fascinate me!

We picked this little gem (ok, it's our version of the Great Pumpkin at almost 12 pounds), back on the 10th (a little more than a week ago), and it still had a lot of green on it.

Just check out the awsome patterning it has now! Amazing stuff this growing of food

Yesterday was my quilt group meeting, and as we do at each meeting, we had "drag and brag" (aka show and tell) where we each spread our current project out for examination

This is the first time I've had all of the bird blocks laid out together since I finished the major applique part

There at the bottom are the three blocks that are all set into the stripping. The center block is in the middle there with the 2 birds that will be free flying and then the other blocks

I must say it's pretty amazing to look at this and realize this is my hand work

Definately one of those "did I do that?" moments

I was also pleased to take pictures of the quilts that everyone else brought to group, and will be sending the picures on to everyone on the group's email list next week


On the way home I spottd this bumper sticker on the back of a van

Got to love the creative ways folks support research for breast cancer!

Today we're going off to visit with our daughter and attend the Loveland Opera Theatre's opening Gala (at which she will sing)

time to get packin'

1 comment:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Cool pumpkin! We'll be starting a small garden next spring and I have my doubts since I don't have a green thumb, but it should be interesting!