Thursday, October 09, 2008

Size 15 bead crazy

At last!

Finally finished this piece of jewelry

It takes a lot more beads to do a 20 inch "chain" when you make it out of size 15 beads instead of size 11 beads!

DUH!

But it is a lovely thin chain, and I'm pretty pleased with the netting around this rectangular facet cut stone -- another first from the studio

and check out the nice look of the bar on the toggle clasp!

Yup, the pieces just keep getting better



You may remember back around Labor Day I talked about putting some glass in the rock tumbler with some sand to see what would happen

This is the first batch of Rocky Mountain Beach Glass

It's amazing!

The 3 pieces at the top right edge of the picture just seem to fit together so well that I'm going to try working them up into one piece of jewelry.

Notice in the center piece of blue glass and the one in the bottom left of the picture what look like lines in the glass? Those are actually little cracks inside the glass, and they look even more like texture when held up to the light.

I'm thinking that both of those pieces need to be done so the narrow edge is the top, and so the curve of the glass is facing out on the piece with something suspended in the center -- like a sea-themed charm? I'm building ideas in my head.

All of this beach/water/ocean themed jewelry is pretty interesting -- I lived in California for 30 years, can count on one hand how many times I actually went to the beach, but I do love the theme -- it seems almost endless with possibilities

I now have another batch of glass in the tumbler -- the rest of the wine bottle that the first batch was from, and I'm now thinking that a trip to the second hand stores is in order -- how cool would it be to get some colors other than what is available to me from wine bottles (which is pretty much limited to this blue and a kind of olive green) -- imagine -- pink, gold, red, green, cut glass, bubble glass -- once again I feel the whole "body of work" turning in a different direction, and I like it

Remember this from yesterday?
I had sent off an email to the Denise Knits folks asking them about a replacement part, expecting that I would have to send them this "in trade"

Imagine my delight when I opened my email this morning and had a note from them telling me that the replacement part is "in the mail"

WOW!!

I'm so impressed -- and really happy to be able to say that there is at least one company out there that actually thinks a Guarantee is a Guarantee!!

Yesterday the DH designed a new bunny pattern for me. We had purchased a cool rubber stamp on sale, and he has once again used a stamp as inspiration to design a whole 3 dimensional animal pattern (the first one he did was Mousie). I had purchased a mohair fabric made in Africa to experiment with, and the bunny will be the test.

Today I'm hoping to get some mohair dyed for some other projects -- the DH is working on a design for a Basset Hound, and I'm going to dye some short pile mohair and a little piece of alpaca with Wilton colors in browns and black for that project.

And then there is the front door -- we replaced the nob on Sunday, and put some weather stripping on the frame for the storm door, now we just need to put in the pieces to seal the interior door frame -- and we want to get it finished before the cold comes this weekend.

Time to get to it!!

2 comments:

girlgonethreadwild said...

Incredible works of art Bev! I'm having the time of my life here today... soaking up all the sunshine that you & your blog give!

Brilliant.

xo, Monica :)

Bev said...

thanks Monica!