Monday, October 06, 2008

odds and ends Sunday

This was the source of a lot of swearing

A while back the lock on the inside of the front door started being difficult to work unless you used 2 hands (not always convenient when you're headed out the door!)

So, we decided to replace the old nob with a new one.

You see the attractive brass ring around the nob? Well, there's one of those on the inside of the door too, and holding both of those in place and getting the internal parts of the nob to come together was quite an undertaking!

Along the way we also discovered that we had two of the old style "trouble lights" that no longer worked, so we got rid of them

who knew that fixing the lock would also include so much "house cleaning"?!

Here is a picture I took of the poor little giraffe after I had carefully removed the glued mouth parts.

As I expected, this animal is stuffed with "wood wool", which I fortunately have a supply of




This, however, was unexpected

As I was turning him over, checking all of his seams carefully, I discovered that he had an internal "noise maker" -- my guess is it squeaked -- that has long since stopped working

So now I'm trying to find a replacement part

Failing that, the old one will go back into him, but I'd really like to put him back in operating order if I can

One never knows what one will discover when doing a repair!

No comments: